For real. The NYC version of Christmas lights are up (except here they're on stores instead of houses), the tree at Rockefeller Center has been lit (and I almost saw the lighting itself!), and it just might snow tomorrow. One of the evening arts programs I help with already had a Christmas party, teaching me that nothing beats an earnest, non-commercialish Christmas celebration in November. This Sunday, I get to help with another Christmas party for one of my programs, so more on that later.
This past weekend, I had my first Thanksgiving away from home ever, which was definitely weird in and of itself, but weirder still based on the circumstances. For context, Thanksgiving to me has always been a relatively small affair (five to ten members of my immediately extended family and that's it) and has a pretty static menu from year to year. I've always been aware that some people that some people celebrate with people they don't share blood with or experiment with new recipes, but it's never been a reality. This year, I had dinner at the home of some friends of Katie. Katie was the only person there I had ever met before, although I had heard some stories as Katie has had a relatively long relationship with Sally, our hostess and Katie's cooperating teacher on her Human Relations class in NYC freshman year. Also, Sally and her husband are both kiwis (an affectionate replacement for New Zealanders) and had never celebrated Thanksgiving before. The entire day went splendidly and was quite enjoyable, even if it didn't really include my Thanksgiving favorites (no stuffing! but I brought the casserole so it was ok). An added bonus was the opportunity to observe Isabella, the 2 year old ish lady of the house. At the agency I have a chance to see a lot of hispanic babies/toddlers/children with their moms, but seeing Isa play and interact was certainly a contrast even to the kids in the socialization group. In fairness, she was in her own home with her parents and mostly (except me, although she had practiced saying my name that day to be ready) people she knew very well as opposed to the kids at the agency surrounded by strangers. But still, I've seen kids on home visits sometimes, and they are still much quieter and more reserved across the board. I've heard a few explanations for this, mostly cultural or from situational limitations, but part of what the socialization classes and nursery program in general try to accomplish is to encourage the kids to be as adventurous and outspoken as kids like Isa are.
A correction (or addition) to a previous post: the monuments in my DC pictures are the WWII memorial (the Iowa pillar, to be specific, as my paternal grandfather was in the Navy during WWII) and my friends Sarah, Tyler, and Katie walking through the dry Reflection Pool towards the Lincoln Memorial.
Also, I'd like to provide you with a short series on one of my favorite things: Christmas music!! So, here it is, Get to Know a Christmas Album. First up, Songs for Christmas by Sufjan Stevens. If you've lived with/near me near Christmas any time in the last several years, you've heard at least a song or two from this fabulous 5 EP compilation. Proving conclusively that being friends with musicians is awesome, Sufjan made a new Christmas EP privately released to just his close friends and family each year for six years, just skipping the year he was overwhelmed with making Come on Feel the Illinois (which was totally worth it, and you should also check that out if you never have). Anyway, Songs for Christmas is a mix of Christmas standards, hymns, and original holiday-themed songs. Sufjan is amazing, and learns to all the instruments he needs for his songs (so listening is hearing a lot of Sufjan, all at once). Highlights include Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, I Saw Three Ships, and every single other song. Check it out.
Honorable Mention: My all-time favorite song, ever, anytime is O Holy Night. Especially performed by a male acapella soloist. Bonus points for a bass (or a low tenor).
That's all for now. I have lots of pictures of Christmas in Midtown, but no patience to add them now, so that will come later. Maybe even this weekend, but that might be a bit ambitious. I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving and are enjoying the best season of the year!
Meghan
No comments:
Post a Comment