Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom!!

Tomorrow, that is.  So if you know my mom, tomorrow's a great day to say "Happy 50th Birthday!" Because it is (sorry, Mom, you got away with fudging your height for a little while, but not age).
This weekend, the agency had its annual party.  You might remember around Christmas time I was a little busy with Christmas parties.  Multiply that by 100 and that's the agency, so no one was really in the mood to plan a staff party at the traditional time.  Personally, I'm a fan of the Mardi Gras staff party over the Christmas party (more festive colors, I think).  There was a lot of food, especially desserts, and a live salsa band.  So many people at the agency can salsa dance! Other than that, the weekend may or may not have involved watching "The Notebook" Saturday night with my roommate and a walk through SoHo after watching a little bit of the Chinese New Year Parade.  I was hoping to see some festivities in Chinatown, but I just came across a park with music from speakers and a couple booths from AT&T and Wal-Mart, so I just kind of wandered around enjoying a beautiful day (in the 40s!) and watching the post-Fashion Week shoppers.

This week, I'm finishing up my second round of assessments in Tutoring.  I'm a little nervous since technically we're supposed to show the kids have improved.  The whole set up is pretty a good example of how NOT to test kids and get accurate results.  Hopefully, despite the fact that none of the tutors knew how to administer the tests, we set our benchmarks after we gave the first tests, we changed the test between last time and this time, etc.  I'm pretty sure all of this will be more meaningful next year once I've gotten all the bugs worked out for whoever takes over my position next year.  That person owes a sandwich or something.

More pictures in the next post!

1 comment:

  1. happy birthdayyy, mom!

    also, if you go to grad school for remedial reading, and your student doesn't improve from one assessment to the next, you fail the class (depending on the program). how's that for pressure?

    but yes, last year i had to report on my student's improvements in a really intense presentation, and it was super nerve wracking. i was so grateful she improved, haha.

    ReplyDelete