I also read a book, The Tenants of East Harlem by Russell Leigh Sharman, which tells the story of the history of East Harlem through the stories of eight different people who live here and represent the various waves of immigrants to the neighborhood. Like other historically low-rent neighborhoods, East Harlem has a history of being a temporary destination of new immigrants who take over then move on as they stabilize their position in their new country. Learning about areas I see on a daily basis from the perspective of people who have been living here for years or decades provided a much-welcome glimpse into the heads of the people I pass daily, especially seeing the creative ways that the featured immigrants, a generally less educated and less advantaged portion of the population, found ways to provide for themselves and prosper.
That all probably describes a large part of my waking hours; however, these are not the hours that are most interesting.
Kevin and Brandon (the main organizer of our project from NY Cares)
So I uploaded all my pictures off my camera and discovered I only have the Urban Adventures trip to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden and my recent walk home from church on the East River. So I guess I'll have to turn elsewhere to remember for me. If you don't like gardens or rivers, you can close your eyes now. But only if you can read with your eyes closed.
I found the lilacs prettier than the cherry blossoms, but in a competition like that the difference is marginal
A few weekends ago, my roommate Brittany's friend from college came to visit. David, currently in the process of becoming a priest, passed through New York City for a weekend on his cross-country pilgrimage to learn trust in God for all needs. These meant that, in addition to whatever emphasis he chose (it's kind of a choose-your-own-adventure style thing), he had the added challenge of only a one-way bus ticket (out, in case you didn't guess), and $40. For the rest of his journey, he depended on the kindness of strangers. Did I mention he's not allowed to have a cell phone for another two years of his priesthood process? Yeah, he went on a trip. He ended up coming across quite a few priests along the way who were quite sympathetic to his situation, but lost a meal or two on the multi-day Greyhound from LA to Philly. Since Brittany attended Catholic school from beginning to end, she has a few future priests in her circle of friends and acquaintances, but, while I know a few people in seminary (and probably know more Pastor's Kids), David presented a thus-far-unique peak into the more hard-core decision to become an actual, funny-collar wearing, Vatican following, celibacy practicing, Last Rites administering priest. Priesthood definitely encompasses more than swinging silver balls full of special water or incense, which I knew, but especially with the controversy that currently surrounds the Vatican, I certainly found talking about the state of the church and the Church with someone making such an serious commitment not only to follow its mission but to embody it and act as a face for it in the community interesting.
Before we learned the climbing on the trees is not allowed. You can see some cherry blossoms peaking from behind this tree.
That same weekend, the agency had a fundraiser event for the Little Sisters mission in Cali, Colombia (the city where, incidentally, David will be spending the summer. Not planned.) The event itself was pretty simple, held in a gym connected to a religious community center, some awesome Mexican food, a DJ with some sweet jams. We got there too late for the dancing lessons, but watching all the amazing Latinos was intimidating enough to keep us gringos in our seats, gnoshing on the guacamole.
There were so many people there! More pictures at the photobucket link at above right. Also included: exhibit A of why I don't like other people to take my picture without specific directions. If I wanted a picture of Kevin's sweatshirt and pavement, I would have just taken it myself before picking his hoodie up off the ground.
Sunday morning, I had the fabulous opportunity to meet up with the family of my former roommate, Katie, for a little church and brunch. Brunch, while observed in other parts of the country and world, seems to be at pretty much Olympic sport status here in NYC. Everywhere has them, but who has the best one? And more importantly, who has the best deal on mimosas (pretty much required for true brunch, apparently). 'Tis the season for parents' visits, so I definitely appreciated catching up with the Philips family. And my fancy restaurant food (wait, not all food comes out of a microwave?)
Slightly more willing to smile than earlier on in the day. I'll take that as a good sign.
Sunday after an evening service, Brittany and I invited pretty much everyone we know in New York over for a community dinner in honor of our special guest. We went with falafels, because we had been meaning to make them for a while, and why not try something new for your 9 closest (/newest) friends? Well, lots of reasons, but it ended up working just fine, especially when Brittany served some (egg?)rolls her Lola (Filipino grandmother) sent as appetizers. Overall, the evening went quite well, thanks to two fabulous hostesses, if I do say so myself.
Sunday, despite the slightly chilly and overcast weather, I decided to walk home from church along the river. Also along the river: FDR Expressway. In some parts they are more separated than others, which is a good thing
As you can see from the pictures, I also went to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden with Urban Adventures through New York Cares. We spent a LOT of time in transit, especially since there were some lines down for weekend maintenance, but I think the kids enjoyed it and they got a good chance to venture out of not only East Harlem but also Manhattan. I still don't think the NY Cares volunteers really understand the kids that well (like that just because the live in NYC doesn't mean they know how to get home from Brooklyn on the subway system), but that doesn't really seem to affect the kids. This month: bowling. That should be interesting.
See that random building sticking up where no other tall buildings stand? From what I hear, that's what happens when Donald Trump develops in the East Village. Not exactly a skyscraper neighborhood, sir.
Tomorrow is the annual fundraising gala for the agency, a $100,000 party in Columbus Circle that usually nets about three times that for the services budget. I'll be working the whole time, which I'm glad for as it will give me something to do, but it will be interesting to see all the wealthy donors I've been researching for the past months in person.
Overpass back to the livable side of the FDR. Not unlike a spot in downtown St. Louis, both mildly terrifying. Oddly enough, the cars (at least on the right) seemed to come in pairs.
For a larger view, click on the picture. For more pictures, click on the slideshow at right.
No comments:
Post a Comment