Wednesday, October 21, 2009

the fact that i'm wearing an orange shirt right now is a complete coincidence

So, I realize that I've only really explained one aspect of my placement at LSA Family Health Services, so I thought I would try another one this time. On Friday afternoons, I am working at the thrift store the agency runs, called the Sharing Place, to help organize their financial records and make some simple changes to its operation. As far as organizing the records go, my supervisor has thus far been awed by my grasp of Exel and ability to type numbers without using the hunt and peck method, so I'm at least establishing some credibility even if its foundation is a bit shady. However, I've been trying to brainstorm ideas for simple ways to make the store itself more user friendly, and if my practice with basic Exel formulas makes my boss like my idea to put up posters on the now-empty cabinet doors, I'll take it. I've come up with plenty of ideas, the problem now is figuring out a way to implement them. Some of the people with power at the Sharing Place seem grateful for my help, but resistant to the specific changes, so I'm hoping to be able to find a way to reconcile my ideas with the realistic constraints of an actual business. But I know that there is potential for change and growth and people seem open to the concept of change, just slightly resistant to the actual process itself. Also, I am hoping to be able to edit the news letter and donor thank you letters. Every other employee of the Sharing Place is a native Spanish speaker, so I'm hoping they will be open to this idea.

Last weekend was Wartburg College's homecoming. While I could not get to Waverly, IA to join in the fun, festivities, and reuining that took place, I was able to get to Waverly Place, NYC with Katie and Brittany (we also spent a little time in Brooklyn out of necessity). We created as much as the homecoming spirit as possible, complete with dressing in orange and Wartburg sweatshirts, walking through a street fair not entirely unlike (but not quite the same as) the homecoming staple of the Ren Faire, eating at a cheap-as-Manhattan-gets diner not unlike the Bremer Diner, and creating our own Oktoberfest watching whatever game happened to be on at the orange-Christmas-light-clad bar we found. Not exactly like a Knight's Homecoming, but it was better than nothing. The next day, Brittany and I walked, for a little while anyway, in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Central Park. It was cold and rainy and the walk was scheduled for 4 miles, so needless to say we did not make it to the end. Well technically, we did cross the finish, but only because it was on the way to registration. After the first mile, the weather and the knowledge that we were walking exactly the opposite direction of our next destination derailed us.

This week seems to be that weird week midway or so through fall where the weather starts to pretend like it's still sort of summer and that false sense that maybe it wasn't quite time to put away the capris and tanks for another year afterall rears it's inaccurate head. While I have no doubt that the chill of last weekend with soon enough be back and with friends, I'm hoping to milk one more nice, warmish weekend out of the year to do something that would be really uncomfortable in winter like walk across the Brooklyn Bridge or leave the house wearing fewer than 3 layers. We'll see how long it actually lasts. Hopefully, wherever you are is having a bit of a resurgence of summer as well and you are able to enjoy the weather either way!

No comments:

Post a Comment